Wednesday, July 11, 2007

The Blackboard Reference Architecture for Performance and Scalability (aka Mary's Revenge)

OK, I'm not actually going to blog this in full, partly because I'm pretty sure no-one would thank me for it, but also because there were a fair number of words that I didn't understand.

However, what I am going to say is that 7.2 allows you to cluster as well as loadbalance, and they favour the use of LDOMs over containers ;-) They reinforced my belief that you really really want to know what you are doiing with Oracle RAC before you start using it with BB.

***Pay attention now***
7.4 will shift much of the gradebook processing client-side. This should make it more efficient in that one client is only likely to be working with one GB at a time. However, it seems to me that there is also a potential risk in that peculiarities on the client side may cause problems.
***done now***

Any that's about all I will inflict on you.

1 comment:

Brian said...

So we can probably expect it not to work on our lecturers (few that they are) who have Macs, at least not at first.